The feature article in today’s New York Magazine is on agender, nonbinary and neutrois experience. The article is generally positive, presenting three different people’s experience in their own words.
Debate has ensued on Twitter about the journalist (or editor)’s choice to focus more on bodies than lives and to only feature people coercively assigned female at birth and not comment on the disparity.
Is there are barrier on CAMAB agender or nonbinary identity (or disclosure) that this article’s editorial decisions perpetuate or is it simply voyeuristic and intrusive to focus on the narrative of transition, birth assignment, surgeries and bodies?
A new article about agender / neutrois people came out. I’m featured in the article as Micah. All I’ll say is, it’s tougher than I expected to put yourself out there. Thoughts?
"I didn’t really want nipples," Cory said, running a hand through a mop of bleached blond hair. Born female, 23-year-old Cory uses the pronoun co—and asked that we refer to co that way, too—and got elective surgery to remove co’s breasts last year. But co is not transgender in the traditional sense, transitioning between female and male. Co wants neither gender. So co joined the ranks of the agender—or, in a more florid recent coinage, the gender neutrois.
"You read stuff on Tumblr about how us nonbinary people just want to be special snowflakes," explained Cory, who is special but made of sturdier stuff than a snowflake. Was Cory’s desire to remove co’s secondary sexual traits a ploy for attention? A reaction to internalized sexism? The result of sexual repression? "I tackled all that stuff with my therapist. We came to the conclusion that I was not okay with this part of my body. Regardless of where that came from, it was there." Co has neither breasts nor nipples now.
"It is so perfect," Cory said. “For me this is what neutral looks like and feels like.”
I found Cory through the #nonbinary #agender #neutrois tags on Tumblr. The social network has become an unofficial home for the gender neutral. Though most group themselves with the transgender community, they reject the narrative of a person born into the wrong, oppositely-gendered body. All five neutrois individuals I spoke to have no need for masculinity or femininity at all.
Full article: NY Mag: Neither Man Nor Woman: Meet the Agender
- kinzopls likes this
- journalofateenpoet reblogged this from genderpoetry
- journalofateenpoet likes this
- berryandcats likes this
- groovy-bastard likes this
- genderpoetry reblogged this from genderqueerd
- truthdabkboi likes this
- harrrymonster likes this
- 2rad5u reblogged this from genderqueerd
- 2rad5u likes this
- endless-inside likes this
- needsmoreandroidslashfic reblogged this from genderqueerd
- punk-rock-prince likes this
- gqkaworu reblogged this from genderqueerd
- gqkaworu likes this
- emilyfemmely likes this
- fiscal-clit likes this
- coolqueer69 likes this
- genderqueerd reblogged this from nonbinary
- dethbook likes this
- a-gender reblogged this from practicalandrogyny
- kruspolska reblogged this from neutrois
- kruspolska likes this
- auti-stim reblogged this from neutrois
- sieurcloufou reblogged this from theartoftransliness
- fcyeah reblogged this from practicalandrogyny
- queer-normative reblogged this from hellyeahagender
- genderbusters reblogged this from practicalandrogyny
- windows-vriska likes this
- ishimarukiyotaka likes this
- lgbtadvocate reblogged this from dajakisubo
- dajakisubo reblogged this from zanekomata-deactivated07122013
- animedads likes this
- saint-rupert likes this
- clumsyshark likes this
- 938711 reblogged this from zawehzaweh
- gloriouschainsawmethod reblogged this from zawehzaweh
- zawehzaweh reblogged this from thelittlestastronaut
- thelittlestastronaut reblogged this from verticalvest
- whitekitestrings likes this
- ninjadp reblogged this from aquapunk
- pandoras-crayons likes this
- lesserjoke likes this
- aquapunk reblogged this from practicalandrogyny
- url-already-taken reblogged this from southpawscopic
- disgracefullyriversong likes this
- penispixie reblogged this from non-binaryexperiences and added:
- non-binaryexperiences reblogged this from neutrois
- screwitwhateverwhynot reblogged this from unseelie-princess